Re: Hshuschen-esque Spirits/Totems

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:50:09 +0100

In message <394E8FEC.F0A8107B_at_...>, Clay Luther <claycle_at_...> writes
>He wanted a orphaned character, raised by
>wolves, but found and adopted into the clan at a very young age. He
>wrote that his character has strong connections to a wolf-spirit,
>perhaps even could shapechange into a wolf if he had to.

Ignoring for a moment HW rules considerations let me go to what we know of the Telmori from earlier sources. They are wolf-hshuschen people who allied with Gbajii. Some of them gained a chaos tainted strengthening to their shapeshifting ability and have to change shape at the full moon. If your adoptee was one of these he would not have survived to adulthood in a Heortling tribe. Either the chaos taint would have been sniffed by Uroxi or his foster parents would have noticed that a cute little puppy turned up once a week but never while the boy was around....

Instead he is a 'pure' Telmori who has the potential to learn to shapeshift but has never done so. He would have been initiated into Orlanth but could also have a Wolf-Spirit companion who gives him some sort of ability with wolves. If he ever discovered or worked out where he came from he would be able to go back and follow the path of his people. (Query: Can hunschen (? sp) interbreed with 'normal' humans?)

This is an illustration of why the rules against mixing magic types are silly by the way....

If his childhood companions ever discover that he is really one of the wolf-people who 'everybody knows' are bloodthirsty shapeshifting chaos creatures there may be a crisis in the clan...

--
Michael Cule