Re: Re: slings and arrows

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:11:09 +0100

philip.hibbs_at_... wrote:
> Speaking of arguements and debates, what should the bonus for being right
> be? It must be easier to win an arguement if you are fundamentally correct
> than otherwise. Not that we should encourage the truth getting in the way
> of good drama...

I suppose having a good argument is like holding a weapon in a fight, so an edge rather than bonus is another possibility.

Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my old age, but in my experience, knowing the truth is only a little advantage in an argument, so perhaps only a small bonus.

More importantly, it might be best to consider the objectives of the contestants: are they trying to reveal the truth, appear impressive or sow doubt. Different abilities are more applicable for different objectives, so not being true might merely be an improvisational modifier.