Re: AP bids from natural sources

From: MHopkins <MHopkins_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:13:33 +0100

> Graeme Willoughby
>
> In extended contests against natural phenomena, what Ap does the natural
phenomena
> bid? Example: in crossing the barrier to the other side, it's decided
that an
> extended contest is aprrpriate, the player bids as normal, but when it
comes to
> the barrier's turn what does it bid? I'm thinking at the moment of the
defualt
> bid (3+3xno. of masteries), which wont change throughout the contest.
Any other
> suggestions?

The way I thought of handling this specific exaple would be to describe how tough a particular section of the climb was and bid appropriately, eg:

Easy slope, plentry of handholds. Mountain bids 3AP Vertical cliff, surface like glass, 30AP(+)

> Also on a related issue what about "coup de grace" on such a contest?
Example:
> at the end of the contest above, the player has a marginal victory, but
she wants
> to try to increase the victory level to gain the extra carryover, can she
use coup
> de grace in this way. (I'm in two minds about this one)

Coup de grace is a particular type of parting shot only applicable to combat (IIR terminology C). After conquering the cliff you could try for a parting shot, if only to look flash!
If it goes badly, maybe "You are so elated at finishing the climb you leap up and down for joy - oops, a loose rock sends you slithering back towards the edge".

> Finally, to bring things to extremes, can the force be "wounded" in such
a combat.
> (I can't see how to interpret this so I'm inclined to disallow it)

Maybe you have cleared a path and now it is obvious for anyone who follows - or the "damage" may only apply to you if you try again and for any companions you may bring, or to anybody you tell about it.

Meirion