Re: Durations of Edges/Bonus, Unrelated Actions, Combat

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:18:11 -0400

> Well, you could try not killing downed heros as a normal course of action -
> Ransom and slavery are two good reasons to capture someone. In Heortling
> society killing will probably lead to wergild and/or a feud. Society
> generally frowns on the amount of mayhem and murder that RPG groups
> routinely get into. If you make it clear that most fights aren't to the
> death, and that great glory can come from great deeds, they might loosen up.
> Also try having contests that don't require death as a possible outcome -
> ease them out of the "death is an inevitable consequence of conflict"
> mentality.
>
> RR

When the battle seems lost, one of the things that offen occurs in my games is that some of the surviving foe get their fallen comrades and try to leave with them while the others fight a rear-guard agction. And, lending AP (healing magic, cordials, ect) can get a bunch of folks barely on their feet to do the bug-out-boogie.

Live to fight another day.

Jeff