Re: Low bids in combat

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:28:53 -0400

> The 'motivational techniques' are good and effective I feel.
>
> Always bidding low is effectively hiding behind your shield making
> half-hearted stabs at your enemy. Every now and again you manage to give him
> a little bash but really you're just waiting for him to get tired or screw
> up.

Oddly enough, the other weapon thanes tend to mock the PC's who do that. Cowards, slouchabacks, ninthlings. Getting silly etiphets "The Cautious," "The White," "Weakblow" "Hideshield" And getting pushed around by Uroxi who are absolutely *sure* you are too cautious to fight can make life *not* worth living.

> Is this how brave, honourable Orlanthi fight? What about Uroxi? (Ooops, you
> haven't got keywords for them). Does your weaponthane character want to be
> seen fighting like this by his clan?

No he does not. But then, it depends on how much of this the narrator is willing to inflict. But being a timid and cautious warrior when the Black Oak clan comes over the hill and your clanmates are falling all around you means Bad Things for your relationship. Certainly censure and probably little support if youwant to do something nifty...

Jeff