Re: Re: Feats and their Descriptions

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:01:18 +0100 (BST)

Wesley Quadros:
> I will give you advance warning then about She Guards Us. We are putting
feats in that are
> deliberately designed to be ambiguous.

Ambiguous, good. Confusing and informative, bad.

> I still see Sunset Leap as being open to interpretation. Does this mean that
they player
> can leap across the country? ACross the tula? Across the creak? Or does it
mean he can
> leap as high as the planet?

That's not really the issue. We're still debating whether it's even a 'leap' or not. Whether it's supposed to have anything to do with Westfaring, etc. This is stuff that's so basic, that just saying 'make up cool stuff' is just woefully Ungloranthocentric. If it's supposed to tell me anything much of anything, I can save numerous pounds, and not buy the book.

> If you do not like using your imagination when you FRP then go play
Rulemonster.

Wes, please play nice. Evidence is that you don't appreciate being gratuitously flamed, either.

> When my storm voice attacks somebody with wind magic I usually do bid 10-20
AP. But I am
> slamming them into a wall with a gust of wind. I am lashing their face with
icy wind and
> pellets, I am throwing them into the ceiling with whirlwind or I am sucking
the breath out
> of their lungs with a vaccum.
>
> I don't know how you can find that this lessens creativity.

Because the description is just gloss. When you know it doesn't actually matter in the game, one runs out of enthusiasm for piling it on with the same zeal as might otherwise be the case, that's my experience. This is true in many a system, but in HW, description is _crucial_, and any process that would help that is, IMO, a jolly good idea. Encouraging 'samey' behaviour from the players, with as little descriptive effort as they can get away with, is highly counterproductive.

Cheers,
Alex.