Minimaxing (was: something to do with AP bids...)

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:22:09 +0200

Clay Luther:

>Well, we figger'd out with our pretty little heads that the game
>encourages you to seek out edges like crazy.

Right on. Which is why the overall most useful thing you can spend words in your narrative on is good weapons and armor. A hobby skill at 13? Pshaw, you can get that in play for a measly 2 hero points. But a high quality piece of equipment is priceless.

Case in point: in our game the majority of the heroes are fully geared-up heortling warriors. Over the past two sessions we've spent some time fighting naked savages with pointy sticks (Basmoli, in fact) whose fighting skills are at least the equal of ours and who start combat with a disturbing amount of AP. We've trounced them soundly every time. (Well, except the time their two-mastery shapechanging chieftain showed up, he knocked three of us down. But as it turned out he didn't have any good resistance to lightning. Fzzzzt!)

Case two: the finale of our latest session was a very strange contest against some Dark Trolls. Equal numbers, equalized equipment. Not quite a fight, but very physical nonetheless. And they took it really seriously... Anyway, we eventually won, but it was a much closer call. I think the main reason we pulled through was a little +2 general edge we'd gotten from a good Tactics roll beforehand. Another interesting thing is that the only two humans left on their feet were the ones who'd started out with followers.

Which brings me to the second most useful thing you can put in your narrative: followers. Gotta love those little AP batteries. They're sorta like storage crystals in RQ...

Your Glorantha May Vary. I know for a fact that David "Weapon ranks are optional!" Dunham's does. :-)

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg