Re: minimaxing

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:39:40 +0200

O ho! Now we see the mighty creative storytellers become nervous and start shuffling their feet because something "smacks of munchkinism"! :-)

Lighten up guys, I'm not saying HW should devolve into rules-playing. I'm just saying that rules are not supposed to be your enemy, you need to use them in a manner that encourages the kind of role-play you want to see.

So if you for instance want the heroes to be charging boldly into battle, ceasing their knees-bent creeping-about advancing behavior, you should give them the incentives that the rules can provide for this. Namely, enhancements and lots of AP.

And I have _never_ said that followers are expendable! In our group, one hero has his nephew as a follower, and the Humakti has the only other Humakti in the village. Actually losing these people would have major consequences. But honestly, what are the chances of that happening? The hero has to be reduced to Injured before the follower can die, and if that were to occur we would probably spend a HP or at the very least quickly rustle up some major healing.

(BTW, my own hero's only follower is his warhorse, which has on the average only been useful in every other combat. So I'm not even following my own suggestions to the letter...)

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg