Earning your daily hero points

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:12:30 -0000

It does seem intuitive that people who act heroically get more hero points....that is why I don't quite understand why some players would fight so cautiously--in Glorantha it is so important to emulate those you would come to resemble!

>> Vengance is a very
> useful GM tool.

Jeff, if I still recall correctly from many years ago, in your games you usually had us so terrified of the bad guys that we opted for "pre-emptive vengence," since we feared if we gave them first whack we wouldn't be in any shape to whack back. Well, I know that was how I reacted....... *grin*

Anyway, thinking back to those golden days of lost youth (or whatever), I recalled something else you had running: background books, that let us, the players write whatever sort of ongoing stuff we wanted, and we'd pass them to you at one play session, then you'd read them, add some GM input, and hand them back at the next. This certainly had the twin benefits of keeping this background clutter from slowing downt the drama, and of letting us develop background more thoroughly than we had time during the game. Of course, in some cases, it also lets the players develop secret side projects that they don't want the other players to know about, but it is probably best to discourage too much treachery (unless you can do in such a way that the person set up never even realizes it, but you don't find the perfect dupe too often).

It seems to me that once in a while, for a group using this technique, a really top notch entry would be worth a cookie, errr, make that hero point. I seem to recall one of the players, for example, wrote you some short stories about his character's origins that revealed depths and conflicts that the rest of us never saw in play from the big, silent, barbarian. I guess basically if heroic deeds or good role playing during play can be worth hero points, it seems that exceptional out of play work should have a chance at it to.

Just a thought for any groups that use a similar technique.

--Bryan