Re: AP; feats

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:46:53 -0700

Mikko wondered

> Have I understood correctly that a character can actually gain AP:s over
> his starting number by transfers.
>
> I don't quite see what this is meant to simulate, even taking into
> account that we are talking about heroic fiction.

Adrenaline. Confidence. Flow. Momentum. Enhanced reputation among the surviving enemy.

> Facing the first opponent, and winning big (parhaps burning an HP) will
> have me set better for the following ones?

Sure. I know it's not the same as melee, but fencing (i.e. competitive combat practice) is largely a mental game -- if you can improve your own mental state, you do better in tournaments.

So anyway, yes, you can end up with more AP than you started with. (They dissipate with the next contest, so it's usually relevant only in a group melee.)

Timothy

> From what David C. has been saying, it seems to me that debate is over
> whether "Feat Punning" is a good thing.
>
> "I tap the boulder with my saber as if it were a wand, using my
> Lightening Sword feat. This makes the boulder less heavy and I can
> now pick it up and carry it."
>
> "I use my Lightning Bolt feat to run away very quickly / make all the
> lettuce nearby wilt / create a roll of sparkling cloth."

This isn't what I meant... Lightning the meteorological phenomenon is a quick bolt, so speed is a valid interpretation for a storm-related feat. Such speed doesn't related to running in general unless it's a Movement-related feat.

(Hey, who has Lightning Sword anyway? I'm not seeing it this morning.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein