Re: Lightning

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:18:35 -0700

Timothy responding to me:

> > Lightning the meteorological phenomenon is
> > a quick bolt, so speed is a valid interpretation for a storm-related
> > feat. Such speed doesn't related to running in general unless it's a
> > Movement-related feat.
>
>Oh. I guess I don't necessarily include quickness or instant-ness in
>my definition of lightning. Perhaps it's from playing too much
>Diablo, where one can create long duration Lightning Walls, and the
>Charged Bolt spell makes little fragments of lightning that wander
>around for a while. (They fade after a set period (number of
>exchanges), but get used up when they touch a valid target.) Since
>your interpretation of lightning includes a concept of quickness, does
>that mean in your game you can't get either of the above effects with
>a lightning feat?

Perhaps not "wall of lighting" but the second sounds like ball lightning.

But as a general rule, anything that plausibly seems connected with the feat (in connection with its affinity, if there's a fair degree of ambiguity) should go -- it doesn't have to have all aspects at the same time. Again, I haven't heard of persistent walls of lighting, and that doesn't seem related to combat or storm or wherever this feat comes from. That would probably have to be a *different* feat (which you could improvise!).

Henrix

>Or poetic. Besides I do not think it is just a vagary in the English language.
>I am not a native English speaker, but it makes sense in Swedish, Spanish and,
>I'm pretty certain, Latin.

Well put -- think poetically, not literally.

>Moreover, I am certain that Orlanth's sword is as fast as a flash of
>lightning.
>And that his sword sometimes is crackling with electricity.

Two of the interpretations I originally put forward. I think a key here is "sometimes" -- you the player get to choose (and IMO this is a choice that makes a difference -- the first suggests a bonus, the second an edge).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein