Re: More Lightning

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:00:49 +0800

>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, David Cake wrote:
>
>> I am in complete agreement. Ambiguity because the same basic
>> effect could be used many different ways in different situations is
>> cool. Ambiguity due to vagaries of the English language (such as the
>> occasional use of the word lightning due to its connotation of
>> proverbial speed rather than its direct meaning) is extremely silly.
>
>Or poetic. Besides I do not think it is just a vagary in the English language.
>I am not a native English speaker, but it makes sense in Swedish, Spanish and,
>I'm pretty certain, Latin.

        Quite right. Lightning is a poor example, because its connotation of speed is because it is a property of the natural phenomenon. I hope you see the point though - to use a recent example, where the object and the associated properties are more arbitrary/culturally dependent, I don't think a Become Owl Feat should let you be Wise, just be like a physical owl (though an Owl magician from a culture that believed owls to be wise might also have a Wise Affinity/Feat).

	Cheers
		David