RE: Re: One More Sunset Leap Post

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:20:35 -0500

On 6/23/00 at 11:47 AM David Cake wrote:
>>To me, "teleport" sounds more science-fictiony than mythic. You never
see
>>the word in any book of mythology, or in any ancient epic.
>

> FWIW, I can't think of many mythic precedents for the
>phenomenon of teleportation in RW myth either - very fast movement,
>yes, but what we think of as a teleport (instantaneous movement
>without crossing the intervening space) is harder.

It does appear in the Arabian Nights, when djinni instantly transport people to distant places. And what difference does it make if "line-of-sight" Teleport is bamfing from one place to another, or taking a leap from the mundane world, into the Middle Air, and back into the mundane world?

> (and also note that exactly the same criticism could have
>been made of the spell names in RQ, its just that with a spell like
>'Erotocomatose Lucidity' already there, giving them mythic names was
>already a bit of a lost cause :-))

But Hero Wars is trying to redefine Glorantha, not imprve on RQ. The idea is for HW to provide more of an impression of mythic grandeur than RQ did, and terms like "Erotocomatose Lucidity" and "Teleport" break the paradigm, for me. I don't think the cause is lost at all; I'm trying to understand the game as it reflects Glorantha, not as it reflects RQ.

Guy Hoyle

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To