Re: penalties

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:50:46 +0100

> From: "Timothy Byrd" <timbyrd_at_...>
>I also wonder about what I've perceived as a need for constant
>novelty. A typical response to "what stops Hero from doing X
>repeatedly" has been "when it isn't novel anymore, penalize it". Does
>this mean that Lunar regiments get less effective during a battle as
>the novelty of their formation wears off? Or how about a scene like
>"Their axes rise and fall to the steady rhythm of their chant as they
>slowly advance across the field, a bloody swath in their wake." This
>earns a penalty or a lower AP bid over succeeding exchanges because
>the same action is being repeated? Ditto succeeding contests/future

I wouldn't penalize repeating the same thing over again (except possibly repeating the a manouever against the same opponent - I hope - for obvious reasons). The penalties idea may have come from references to Feng Shui. If so it has been misunderstood. In Feng Shui you lose bonuses for attacks/stunts if they aren't original. Stunts tend to gain bonuses for clever use of terrain etc., surprise value or fun. In HW I would translate this as giving bonuses for use of terrain, being appropriately heroic and so on.

Thom