Re: Giving up Initiation

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 16:54:03 +0100

In message <395512C2.F613DE60_at_...>, Brian Laxson <b1laxson_at_...> writes
>Our number of our players in our game have secondary iniations to gods
>(typically the males
>have Orlanth). I was wondering what game effects there would be on giving up the
>initiation.
>
>Do you still access the affinities? Do you lose the affinities?
>
>Quite obviously your "Initiate of Orlanth" relationship goes away
>
>Part the question to is if you where outlawed/tossed out of cult are they
>capable of cutting
>off your magical affinities?

I'm not quite sure.

I would say that (on the basis of what happened with RQ) that you retain the knowledge of the affinities (you know how you used to be able to work certain powers) but you can no longer do them since the power had to come from the god.

Now, I'd say that if you took the knowledge to an unfriendly cult it might be possible for that God and you to use that knowledge to HeroQuest a perverted version of your original god's affinities. Which is one reason why the cults kill people who defect to other gods.

But they wouldn't do this if you were simply shifting from one god in the pantheon to another. An Ernalda priestess who had once been a Vingan warrior would still have her knowledge of Vinga as would an Orlanth warrior who chose to become a CA Healer.

--
Michael Cule