Re: house rule question of augmentation

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:56:22 +0100

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:37:51 +0100, Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...> wrote:

>It has one obvious flaw, you can't go for broke and attempt a
>super-augment relying on a HP-bump. For instance, with an Ability of
>17, you COULD try for a +6 bonus. That's 17 vs 10W resist... Chances
>are, you'll succeed, resistance will crit or succeed. A bump will
>probably still get the bonus. But with our rule, you can't roll 17-30!

Actually, thinking about it (don't know why I never realised it before), it's worse than that... If you have an Ability 17, and attempt a +3 Bonus, that's 17 vs 15. Normally, assuming both succeed, as is likely, you have a 50-50 chance of rolling low and getting the bonus, above a 30% chance of a success. With Andy's method (I'm disowning it :), you have a 5% crit, 5% success, 5% fumble, and the rest is nothing...

You could say that's the price of simplicity and having so little a chance of a negative, I guess...

Wulf