Re: Re: A Different Feat Question

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:55 +0800

>I let the Yinkini gain an edge where he would not have had one if he
>uses his 'Grow Teeth and Claws' feat. The level of the edge depends on
>the success. This is one of the few cases where I let a theistic feat
>gain an edge rather than an augment.

        Terminology police - as edges and bonuses are both different types of augmentation, what you mean to say was probably 'This is one of the few cases where I let a theistic feat gain a bonus rather than an augment.'

	Which just makes me say - why?
	THe difference between an edge and a bonus is something that
should be done based on what game effect you are simulating, and I don't see what the theist/feat/talent/power distinction has to do with it at all.

>Mile Throw Javilin is more interesting, I think and probalby more
>flexible. We let it literally let you toss that far. No range
>penalties for normal range and treat the spear toss like a ranged
>"magical" attack -- its still a ranged attack but we treat the modifiers
>like a magic one as they are more forgiving. Our vingan uses it as
>either an augment for her javelins OR as an enhancement that lets her
>ignore range penalties as above.

	Sounds very reasonable.
	I think, to contradict Nick, that sometimes you have to
distinguish between a natural ability and a magic ability to do the same thing - luckily, in this case its a very natural way to do it within the rules.

>Still trying to work otu how the Six Javelin Feat would work. =)

        Personality, I'd say its most practically an augment - you can use it either to create a bonus (several javelins increase your chance to hit) or as an edge (if you do hit, you might hit them several times and damage them more). Of course, you can just use it as a simple magic attack.

	Cheers
		David