RE: house rule question of augmentation

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:35:18 +0200

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Nick Brooke wrote:
> Another worry: enhancements are all + to hit (augmentation) or + to damage
> (edge); the other part of the trinity in RQ was + to armour points, but
> that's gone. Imagine duelling Rune Lords with Truesword, Bladesharp 6,
> Strength, Coordination... but no Shield or Protection spells! Big edges are
> going to get scary.

The way I read the rules only one of them would have an edge, and that being the difference between the two edges. On loking it up, it actually says that the narrator "may subtract the lower...leaving only one participant with an edge." (HW:RiG p. 136). But in this case I think it would be advisable.

I think you can add up all edges for armour and weapons. A guy with a long spear has an edge over a man with a dagger, but if the latter has plate mail he can pretty much ignore the spear and close with his dagger. I think this makes sense, although there are cases where I do not want to do it, I do not think a greatsword helps a man trying to close with a man shooting at him with a bow. But ranged combat seems a bit overlooked in the rules.

  --
Henrix