Re: Edges and Handicaps.

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:45:46 -0000

No, that would be if the opponent forfeited. Compare offensive Rank+Edge to defensive Rank+Edge, and add to AP. See after next comment

>If the opponent must transfer x2 is it ((7-5) + 10) x 2 = 24?

Yes, compare offensive Rank+Edge with defensive Rank+Edge, and add AP.

Personally, I say if the opponent is defending with, say, Sword & Shield, compare the Rank of HIS Sword vs. the actor's armour, and apply as an Edge. His defense is active, and involves a weapon, which I say means it counts if he wins. However, it would seem the official word is that no Ranks or Edges apply, and it's just the AP that count here. So, in your first example, it's a forfeit of 10 AP.

> If the actor attacks with ^5 and the opponent has ^7, and the actor
must forfeit, is it (5-7) + 10 = 8?

No, if the Actor forfeits, there is no adjustment (or, in my rules, you need to compare the opponent's sword with the actor's armour).

> What logic is behind the system?

Offensive Rank+Edge vs Defensive Rank+Edge. Actually, the term 'Edge' is used somewhat confusingly in the rules. Edge is the end result AFTER comparing Actor vs. Opponent. So if your weapon Rank is higher than his Armour Rank, you do more damage, and have a positive Edge.

It has, it will be again, ad nauseam :) But every time, we all gladly join in...

Wulf