Attacking and defending abilities

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:27:20 +0200

Nick asked:
>Charles wrote:
>
>> The place where it seems (i.e. I may have got this wrong) to get
>> scary is that in a contest you would probably use one edge while
>> acting (i.e. those that enhance your weapon/attacking ability) and
>> a different edge when resisting (i.e. those that enhance your
>> shield/armour/defending ability)
>
>Should you routinely use a separate "attacking ability" and
>"defending ability" throughout extended contests, swapping over
>between bidding rounds?

Depends on your preferences. Some like to keep the attack/parry mindset, which makes more simulationistic sense. Some don't.

Personally i let people use whatever abilities seem appropriate (as seen from earlier examples).

Of course, some abilities are more 'attacking' (terrifying howl) and some are more 'defending' (tough) but that doesn't mean they can't be used whichever way. If someone charges you with a greatsword you can defend yourself with your terrifying howl.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]