Re: Fetishes

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:51:07 -0700

James

>So if you want a climb trees fetish I don't think you capture a climb trees
>spirit but rather something like a squirel spirit. The act of making the
>fetish defines which ability of the squirel you can use.

The process is probably something like: "Brother squirrel, may I call on you when I need to hide nuts?" "Yes, you may call on me once." "Then I will carry you in my medicine bundle, which I keep close to my heart."

An alternative approach is that some squirrel spirits are better than others at certain things. Some are really good at climbing trees, others at hiding nuts. The fetish simply allows the spirit to use its best ability.

>So I may be tempted to allow a squirel spirit fetish be used for anything
>within reason (climbing trees, finding nuts, quick escape) trouble is this
>could lead to abuse and makes it too much like thiest affinities.

This does sound exactly like affinities, and it's probably not a good idea.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein