Boring Combat

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:50:05 +0200

Henrix keeps at it. :-)

>according to p. 136, you
>_may_ , if you wish, even it out so that only one contestant has an edge.
>If we use this to the full extent, we get:
>
>Final Edge = (Geo1's Weapon Rank + Other Offensive Edges + Armour Rank +
>Other Defensive Edges) - (Geo2's Weapon Rank + Other Offensive Edges + Armour
>Rank + Other Defensive Edges)

I see I have to get back into this discussion and explain in more detail why I think the "Put all the edges in a bucket, with the eggs on top" variant is bad.

It's boring. Boring boring boring. Also, dull and lifeless. Unrealistic too, but that's not a primary consideration.

Let's look at some examples to clarify what I mean. Warriors A and B are getting ready to fight, wielding normal swords - weapon rank 3.

Situation 1: Neither A nor B has had time to put on any protective gear - armor rank 0. By my rules, they each get a +3 edge against the other. By Henrix' rules, the edges cancel out and they're both +/-0.

Situation 2: Both A and B have suited up in full chainmail and are using shields - armor rank 5. By my rules, they each get a -2 handicap against each other. By Henrix' rules, it cancels out leaving them both at +/-0.

Situation 3: A has his armor, but B doesn't. By my rules, A has +3 edge against B, B has -2 handicap versus A. By Henrix' rules, A has +5 edge against B, B has neither edge nor handicap.

So the way I run things, the first two situations are pretty different and will probably lead to different tactics on the parts of the combatants. Using Henrix' method, they're exactly the same. See? Boring. In situation 3... I feel the example speaks for itself. If the unbalancing effect of Henrix' method isn't obvious from this, consider an even worse example were B is fighting with just his fists - this increases A's edge, sure, but B can still rip through his armor as if it wasn't there...

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg