Re: Subject: Re: Re: Edges and Handicaps.

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:29:23 +0100

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:57:13 +0100, t.s.baguley_at_... wrote:

>>As one of the 'some' referred to, I can't see it either. Looks like
>>you're stuffed if you use a parrying weapon (axes were quite popular).

>Am I missing something? Why? e.g., If you want parry weapon magic could be
>used to improve armour rank.

No, not magic, just mundane weapons.

>Using a 2-handed weapon (as in most games)
>increases attacking potential, but decreases defense.

I'd say in my experience defence was greatly improved by using spears or staves, even a greatsword. You have two hands to haul the thing into place to parry with.

>Do you mean a parrying weapon in the off-hand (sword and dagger etc.). If
>so I'd like to know how other people handle it, but some solutions spring
>to mind.

Yup, that's it. And I meant how the RULES handle it. They don't.

>e.g., increase armour or weapon rank by one (but not both in any single
>exchange)

You're assuming then that an 'exchange' is just a single attack and defence? Otherwise you can switch rapidly between weapon attacks and defences with two weapons, confusing the enemy and still getting the parry bonus. But it's nowhere to be seen in the rules.

Wulf