Re: exposure difficulties

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:22:20 -0400

Douglas Seay wrote:

> I saw that surviving full winter in Dragon Pass is 5w3 and Molten Iron
> is 10w4 (or something like that, my book is at home). That seems kinda
> close to me. Calling Carmania 12w3 and Valind's Glacier 18w3 just don't
> seem fair. They are both much colder than Dragon Pass. But I don't
> think that either of them compare to molten metal. Am I getting wrapped
> up in details again? It certainly wouldn't be the first time.
>
> --
> Douglas Seay Marconi Communications - RTP, NC, USA
> douglas.seay_at_... iFLX development

Ah, the wonders of the modern age.

If Dragon Pass (which is about 4-5 thoussand feet up_ is anything like being in Denver in the middle of winter, I for one will not leave outside.

As to the Glacier -- I spent a winter working as a field geologist up in the Arctic. YOu did not leave the shelter of the camp, the wind breaks or the drill shack. And I don't even want to think about what the bugs were like in the summer...

I shudder to think what survival would be like with out my 10w2 Gortex jacket. The real world is a far nastier place than your rule book could hope to be.

Jeff