Re: Boring combat

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:51:59 +0200

Henrix:
>> It's boring. Boring boring boring.
>
>I already told you that.

Not in so many words, I felt it could be amplified. Hey, we're not trying to convince each other here, we're playing to an audience. ;-)

>Example: Argrath is entering Boldhome. From an adjacent roof a would be
>assassin leaps at him. The assassin initiates the contest, and bids all
>his AP.
>Naturally he fails miserably and loses three times his AP, as Argrath has
>more
>masteriess. Now the trick question; was this because
>a) The assassin stumbled and fell from the roof breaking his neck, or
>b) Argrath lightningly fast drew his sword and skewered the poor bastard?
>
>Jonas seems to think a), but me, actually, I prefer b). But of course Your
>Glorantha May Vary ;-)

No, I would say either:
c) Out of the corner of his eye, Argrath sees the assassin coming and moves out of the way just in time for the fool to flatten himself against the ground.
Or I might actually go with b) if the situation seemed to warrant it. Like if I was trying to stage a recreation of an old fragment of a story...

But the most likely way for me to resolve this would be to first have a contest of the assassin's Ambush skill against Argrath's Spot Ambush (or whatever). If Argrath wins, the normal order of action will apply, meaning Argrath goes first and kills the assailant on his own turn.

>That said I will probably not reduce everything to the lowest denominator,
>except in certain circumstances, like when 75 poorly armed Yakuza tries to
>attack five heroic samurai. (Yes. We did play this out using RQ. Jonas was
>there I think. Let me tell you; it was "Boring, boring, boring" :-&#92;

Oh yeah. But somehow I think this might actually have been more dangerous for us under HW rules. It would depend on what sort of contest it was.

>The poor idiot who tries to hit the fully armoured guy with a straight punch
>_will_ get a -5 handicap, no matter what glorious armour he is wearing.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Henrix.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg