New players

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:47:08 +0100

I refereed my first HW game last Thursday, with two players, both new to Glorantha.

I originally tried to use the narrative method of character generation. After some fumbling around, we decided to switch to the list method. Does anyone else have experience of which is best to begin with? I tried to give some of the Glorantha background, but I think I overloaded them.

The characters came out OK, with both players selecting flaws, one ambiguous reference ('The Tooth of the Moon Shadow Dog'), and one unusual ability ('Fearsome Reputation' at 1W). By good fortune, we have devotees of Yinkin and Odayla.

The players quickly fell into the 'feel' of the rules; an early contest was an attempt to use a 'naive' ability (technically a flaw, but I think its a fine line) to convince someone to lend the character a horse, argued on the grounds that the character could be trusted not to be up to no good.

'... it was fun to try it out. The system works pretty smooth.' said one player.