Re: Digest Number 161

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:02:26 +0800

> > >If you heroquest enough to get your "Running" ability up to 10www
>>>(almost divine levels) you damn well should be able to outrun a
>>>speeding arrow.
>>
>>Maybe in your game you need to heroquest to get 10www (nothing wrong
>>with that).
>
>Heroquesting is the fastest way of improving abilities. I did not
>mean that you have to heroquest to reach such ratings; it's merely
>the most campaign-effective.

        But you do not have to heroquest, you could conceivably do so by entirely mundane means. So the Heroquesting is misleading in this context.

        Do Olympic medal winning athletes have abilities in this range? Being the best in the world, you would think they must. Does this mean that they can outrun a horse? No. (not over the sort of distances that horses are normally raced, certainly - say, 1km)

	So, why not?
	Mikael, how do you explain it?

	And I am genuinely curious - because I think there is fairly
obviously a real problem here, and I would really like to solve it, yet Mikael does not seem to even see the problem.

        (sure, humans and horses have different optimum ranges for running, and endurance events and sprinting should really be handled completely differently - actually short and middle distances, too - but skipping lightly over that as essentially irrelevent to the main point....)

	Cheers
		David