To fight or not... with what?

From: Andreas Gustafsson <Koraq_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:56:08 -0000

One of my players discovered a peculiar thing about her Vingan warrior last time we played. In a fight I had described how she was charged by a creature and since she failed I described how she slammed into the ground with the creature above her.

Naturally she wanted to struggle free and when we looked for a applicable trait we found no kind of "close combat" or "dexterity" or "fast" or whatever...

Strangely enough she hadn't any!

Then I looked at the character sheet and in the box about combat abillities I found "close combat" and "ranged combat". Since these are on the character sheet I began wondering about adding these two combat abillities to the warrior keyword (or heortling cultural keyword?) and then using the "fight with spear and shield" as a speciality within "close combat" instead. Strangely enough, a Vingan will have "spearfighting" from the cultural keyword, the warrior keyword /and/ from the magic keyword...

My way all warriors will have a generic "close combat" abillity. As it stands right now it looks kind of odd I think.

Reactions? Have I missed anything important?

/andreas