Re: Digest Number 161

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 15:46:07 +0200

David Cake:

[snip]

> Do Olympic medal winning athletes have abilities in this
>range? Being the best in the world, you would think they must. Does
>this mean that they can outrun a horse? No. (not over the sort of
>distances that horses are normally raced, certainly - say, 1km)

The equivalent of olympic medal winning athletes in my Glorantha/HW have ratings around, say 1w to 10w. Ratings of 10www are vastly superhuman, in the realm of outrunning arrows.

> So, why not?
> Mikael, how do you explain it?

Glorantha is not Earth. The supernatural saturates Glorantha; its mundane inhabitants are like the entities of RW mythology - usually superhuman in both their achievements and in their failings. The 'ordinary humans' of Glorantha are not like ordinary humans of Earth but like the 'ordinary denizens' of RW mythology.

Since ordinary Gloranthans can become godlike, i really don't see why mundane abilities can't surpass the RW ranges of human achievement.

The idea that RW human limitations are the same in Glorantha, surpassable only with magic, bugs me; the result is Earth with add-on magic (the Mikko version, presumably). I want a truly magical world, which is why i don't put RW limitations on mundane abilities.

Note that multiple masteries aren't confetti-common in my HW as the published HW (unfortunately) would have it; outrunning arrows isn't exactly what you'd call an everyday occurrence.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]