Re: New players

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:14:04 -0000

On the flip-side, I know a lot of people that I've played with over the years look at characters based on what they can do (i.e. me describing a character: "He's the youngest son of minor nobility, now trying to use his education in the courtly and arcane arts to bring him to a position of security and influence in the world." Most of my friends "Oh, you mean magician with the scrying and air magic with all those communication skills, who totally sucked at combat?") For this sort of player, I think the list method would come much more naturally.

Note that the list method tends to result in less skills and such, so if you have a mixed group the 100 word folk will have more on their character sheet. If this annoys list people, you might want to allow them to switch over when they are ready. Alternatively, you could give them a cookie, like letting them increase one or two skills from 13 to 15 or something.