Re: Divination Question

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 15:21:18 +0100

In message <8jplvg+751f_at_...>, Jarec Basham <jarec_at_...> writes
>Does anyone have any ideas about how to run divination. It has always
>struck me as an important aspect of Theistic life, a fact confirmed
>by King of Dragon Pass. And yet I am at a loss as to how to apply it
>in game terms. What I really need to know is Who can try one, How is
>it resolved and What do you get out of it.
>
>Is it akin to a mini HQ and needs a priest or is it like reading the
>bones and anyone has some small chance with it.

First of all, I'd say that it doesn't normally require a trip into the Other Side to achieve a divination (although some facts or secrets might be so difficult to find or comprehend that you must leave this world behind and go and have a personal word with the gods). It's a ritual and I think it would be one that needs a god-talker or a devotee to pull off. Each god would have their own particular focus for divination: fire, water, the flight of birds, the shape of clouds (a good one for Orlanth...) and so on.

As to what you can learn: the traditional Gloranthan answer (from RQ days) is: anything the God knows. He knows what he did in his legendary career. He knows what his priests, devotees and initiates have told him since. He knows what goes on where his influence reaches and in his temples. He does not know what goes on in the otherworld domains and temples of hostile gods. He does not know the future as such but being a creature of much greater range of knowledge and intelligence he can make much better guesses about the future than mortals.

--
Michael Cule