RE: Re: Setting Spears

From: Richard Sands <richard.sands_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:14:17 +0100

On Wednesday, July 05, 2000 12:55 PM, Henrix [SMTP:henrix_at_...] wrote:

> Gloranthan cultures are supposed to be on (more or less) a "bronze
age"
> technological and cultural level, so, please, let us avoid
medievalicisms.

Oh, come on! I know they use bronze - but apart from that the technology and culture draws much more heavily from early iron age (Greek and Roman for the lunars), dark age (Scots, Celts, Saxons, Danes for the Orlanthi), and feudal age (feudal Europe for the Western realms). We have crossbows in widespread use (unless you remove them from your game) which indicates significant levels of manufacturing, and a whole range of weapons which were only developed as a result of the weapons/armour arms race of the feudal period.

As for the comment that there's no evidence of large cavalry forces - don't Heortlings frequently have to fight Praxians and Grazers? And Lunars Pentans? I admit that massed cavalry charges wouldn't be everyday occurrances, but in warfare against these groups (which all include the equivalent of heavy cavalry), they are certain to have occurred.

I apologise for the first sentence above - it was probably somewhat unnecessary. I have left it there because I would have had to do a rewrite if I excised it.

Richard
  richard.sands_at_...
  richard_at_...