Re: Re: 2 sword fighting

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:19:49 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> > Reenactment weapons tend to be poorly made, heavy things. At least
> the
> > ones I've held. 10 lbs is a lot for a bastard sword.
>
> You must have held some cheap rubbish then (of which there is, I
> agree, a lot!).

Indeed I have. I suppose the point is that nobody want's to first take the edge off a fine sword, and then bash it full of noches.

> Reenactment swords tend to be high-quality steel,
> beautifully finished, in our group. For 100+ UKP I would damned well
> hope so too! Armour Class, our local smiths (and members of our
> group) make superb lightweight hardened steel weaponry with 30-32
> inch 10th century norse style swords weighing 4-6 lbs. That's what
> I'd expect the real ones to weigh in at (given the reenactment swords
> have thicker, blunt, edges, but better quality steel).

Most of the ones I've seen are _really_ thick. And this gives them much more weight than the 1 - 1,5 kg one would like to see in a broadsword.

For instance a Viking type II sword.

Overall length: 39"
Weight: 2 lbs 8 oz

here's one good sourse: http://www.albionarmorers.com/swordsmain.htm