Re: metal; first action

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 18:12:06 -0700

Jeff

> There is also frequent mention of Gauls stopping in the middle of
> battle to straighten
> their swords by using a foot to bend them back into shape.

This sort of thing apparently persisted up through Viking times, judging by their sagas...

Not that Gloranthan bronze is necessarily the same as Earthly bronze (being able to mine it in pure form must be a huge plus!).

Wulf

> Well, bronze age has repeatedly been stated to be the general
> technological and
> cultural level of Glorantha. I think that is still the aim, although I agree
> that early iron age is more suitable to how things have been presented,

Glorantha incorporates many different cultures, which range from medieval technology (e.g. crossbows and plate armor in the West) to neolithic (the Votanki of Balazar)... I think the Heortlings are in general Iron Age technology, though they happen to use Gloranthan bronze because it's easier to work and far more common than Gloranthan iron. We'd have to discuss other cultures on a case-by-case basis.

Mikael responded to me

> How can you decide how high APs the contestants have _before_ they
> have made the first choice of abilities?

Um, ur, ... I was confusing the fact that after the initial exchange, highest AP acts first. But you're right, usually the first action is determined either from context or defaults to player characters.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.