Re: Re: Setting Spears

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:26:02 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Alexandre Lanciani wrote:

> David Stephen Bell
>
> > IIRC most RPGs (other than a few which have simultaneous attacks e.g.
> > Pendragon) have a structure in which the defendant's actions are at
> > best simply a response to the attacking action (RQ, Harn); as often
> > as not you get the opportunity to stand there and take it (Earthdawn,
> > MERP, AD&D). At least HW allows you to describe a response to the
> > attacker's move though they determine the level of threat.

Funny. In both the GURPS variant I use and in a H�rn system game where I play describtions of the action are both precise and inspired.

At least for me describing and visualizing the combat comes more naturally when the tactics and description have a direct effect on the results. In vanilla HW the only thing that matters is the size of the AP bid, and that has no actual relation to the described action on the system level.

On the system level, in HW one just states how aggressive one's attack it. To me that seems to make the descriptions just so much decorations around the rather plain combat resolution mechanics.

        -Adept