Re: Re: 2 sword fighting

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 13:51:40 -0400

> > Bought a hank of bronze wire on the way home. 10 guage stuff. The kind
> > you'd use for chainmail. It snapped after I bent back and forth it three
> > times. The 10 guage iron wire I bought broke after being bent 45-50
> > times (i lost count).
> >
> > I think that's a pretty good RL demonstration of why bronze was used for
> > cast and piece armor but never mail.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> I wouldn't try making bronze chainmail from wire, for just the purpose
> you just stated. One would need much bigger loopsm and a way to link
> them. The original chainmail wasn't made from wire anyway.
>
> -Adept

Not really. Not unless you want it to be something else other than chainmail. Ringmail perhaps. I suggest, if you're prefer, you go and buy yourself some bronze and observe the results for yourself. And original chaimail was made from drawn wire. Hammering it into thin rolls would, frankly crystalize the material very badly and make it even more prone to brittle failure.

Jeff