Vanilla HW

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:04:39 +0200

>At least for me describing and visualizing the combat comes more
>naturally when the tactics and description have a direct effect on the
>results. In vanilla HW the only thing that matters is the size of the AP
>bid, and that has no actual relation to the described action on the
>system level.

Mikko is absolutely correct. But, when playing HW, the action doesn't happen on the system level, the game provides no fun at all at the system level. Playing 'vanilla HW' would be an exercise in boredom.

Which could be a put-down for some. Perversely, this is, for me, the crown jewel of the game. The core mechanics is minimal and extremely flexible; i can factor in the things want, and provide the game with precisely the flavour i want when i need it.

>To me that seems to make the descriptions just so much decorations
>around the rather plain combat resolution mechanics.

Descriptions are what makes HW come alive and lets the game be interesting. If you don't let the descriptions modify or determine the resolution then, yes, you'll indeed end up with a rather boring game.

There are lots mechanics to use for making descriptions a pivotal element of the game.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]