Re: Mundane Superman versus Magical Superman

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:53:37 +0200

Philippe:
> > Exactly. I do think in terms of the world. Who on Glorantha actually
>> _trains_ his mundane 'run' ability up to 10www? If you are ambitious
>> and motivated enough to get it up there, then surely you have been
>> blessed by, say, Mastakos or Father Deer, or you have heroquested
>> mightily.
>
>Not necessarily. You might get your ability there becaue you are an
>Agimori, running
>everyday on the vast plains of Prax.

I wouldn't allow an agimori to gain constant experience in his running ability just for jogging around Prax constantly. Endurance, possibly, but not running. Raising yourself to extraordinary ability ratings demands that you do the extraordinary. IMG, lest someone accuse me of being overly normative.

> > Regardless of whether the 10www ability is magical or mundane, i
>> doubt anyone in Glorantha would raise it to that level without
>> supernatural aid.
>
>I don;t doubt it. It's what the scaling is about. For example, I
>don't doubt that Harrek
>has close fighting 10w4, even without any magical aid. He is that
>good "naturally".

Yes, he is that good 'naturally', i.e. without magical aid. But he didn't get to have that extraordinary level without magical aid (read 'heroquesting'). And he certainly didn't get to that level by endlessly practicing his skills against trollkin.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]