Re: Re: 2 sword fighting

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:53:52 +0300 (EET DST)

> > I wouldn't try making bronze chainmail from wire, for just the purpose
> > you just stated. One would need much bigger loopsm and a way to link
> > them. The original chainmail wasn't made from wire anyway.
> >
> > -Adept
>
> Not really. Not unless you want it to be something else other than
> chainmail. Ringmail perhaps. I suggest, if you're prefer, you go and
> buy yourself some bronze and observe the results for yourself. And
> original chaimail was made from drawn wire. Hammering it into thin
> rolls would, frankly crystalize the material very badly and make it even
> more prone to brittle failure.
>
> Jeff

Are you sure? The sourses I've seen seem to say that the chainmail was made from flat hoops of metal. The hoops had tiny holes at the ends and a tiny rivet was driven through them to keep seal the loop.

And I've seen chainmail done from pretty hefty rings, and occasionally a combination alternating big and small rings.

        -Adept