Re: Digest Number 169

From: Richard Melvin <rmelvin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:46:55 +0100

>Now, between somebody having run 10w2 and somebody having only run 10w and "fast
>like
>the wind" 10w, it will all depend on the circumstances and improvisational
>modifiers.

This seems like it would be fairly hard to do consistently, and liable to lead to problems with suspension of disbelief.

'What do you mean, last week I could fly from Boldhome to Nochet in an hour, and now I can't catch that guy running away on foot?'

'OK, I am a master smith, with several heroquests under my belt. Can I or can't I make a sword as well as the ones the Mostali sell?'.

'I am an ten foot tall troll with a 40 pound axe. I don't need to make combat rolls to kill those Orlanthi, they only have 'fight like a human'.

It's really the same situation as AP bids in combat.

If someone was to say 'I go for an all out lunging attack, ignoring defence', and then bid 3AP, would you suggest a different bid, or apply an arbitrary penalty?

If you don't encourage bids that don't match their description, you shouldn't encourage abilities that don't fit their interpretation.

This means that if you have the right level of close combat, you can fight an eight foot troll on equal terms (barring edges, etc.). If you can't, you shouldn't have it on your character sheet.

Richard