Fw: Coup de grace

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:10:06 -0700

> >My clarification of the rules text of the coup de grace is that=20
> >parting shots increase the victory level, while a coup de grace=20
> >merely kills the opponent.
>
> I never found that part of it unclear, actually...
>
> >In some cases, where the objective is to=20
> >kill your opponent, parting shot and coup de grace is interchangeable.
>
> Yes, except for the slightly more unclear statement: "Any opponent
driven=20
> to hurt, injured, or dying can be killed by the parting shot if the=20
> player so intends." I've been thinking that this is probably a=20
> prohibition against giving a dazed opponent the coup de grace. In other=20
> words, you have to bring someone to -11 or below through normal combat,=20
> and _then_ the parting shot can be an instantly killing blow. I suppose=20
> it could be read the other way around: if your parting shot brings the=20
> opponent to hurt or below, you can declare him dead. But if that's the=20
> intent of the rule it really should be worded differently.

First defeat your opponent (drive him to Hurt or worse) in normal combat. Then declare that your parting shot is a CdG. If you succeed in your roll, your opponent dies, instantly and irrevocably (in the context of the fight at least, the ability to raise the dead is not affected by the CdG, though later measures (taking the head) can prevent resurrection...).

Page 141: "The CdG must be delivered as a parting shot, and must be declared before the dice are thrown."

> >Am I right in assuming, however, that you must still bid AP for a coup
> >de grace, as if you lose the contest, you lose the AP? Almost a
> >certainty for minimum AP bid, that, win and he's dead regardless of
> >AP...
>
> Yes you must and yes it sure is.

Correct.

I just came back from seeing a classic Parting Shot/Coup de grace scene at the end of Patriot (Mel Gibson's version of the American Revolution). Near the end of the film he and Tovington (Covington? the evil, wicked, ends-justify-the-means colonel of dragoons) finally have their big showdown.

After plenty of good ol' hand to hand, Mel's character is dazed (in HW terms, that's the way it seemed - he'd taken a couple shots to arms and legs, but wasn't really too hurt). Our Villain decides to behead him (Mel is facing away from his opponent, on his knees, watching the victorious American militia (yay) waving flags and driving the redcoats (boo!) away from the ruined courthouse). The villain swings, blows his roll (and gets a bayonet in the guts) - basically taking him to wounded (or possibly below). Mel then shoves a different bayonet through his throat (CdG).

Interesting watching a movie for game mechanics...

(The rest of the movie was typical Mel...)

RR
Descendent of United Empire Loyalists (ie, Tories) who moved to Canada when those hotheads threw tea in Boston Harbor...