Re: Yet another boring combat

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 00:56:20 +0200

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000, Jonas Schiött wrote:
> You agree that the alternation of edges/handicaps is a fact, right?

Actually, no, I do not. If you are thinking of the Roderick Robertsons famous post, he is only talking about edges/handicaps gained from equipment ranks. Not other edges.
(Not that I necessarily agree with him, but I suppose he knows what was intended in the rules ;-)

> So what remains to discuss is how to translate this rules-speak into
> descriptive language. Isn't the most natural interpretation that the
> actor is making at least the majority of the offensive moves during 'his'
> particular exchange?

Yes, of course. But you seem adamant against allowing the opponent to make any sort of offensive action whatsoever. You have stated that ripostes are not covered in the rules, which I find to be a nonsensical statement.

Of course preemptive strikes and ripostes and whatnot are covered in the rules.

If it is dramatic, fun, exciting, why not use it? Whyever should we disdain from describing a 24 AP forfeit from the actor as a riposte, if that would fit into the story?
Would you disallow Aski the Uroxi from defending using his Searing Wind Gust?

Remember "The opponent declares how he intends to use an ability to stop the player" (sic!), HW:RiG p.127.

You choose an ability and how you want to use it.

If Aski is going berserk, acting with the statement: "I run to Hiord (less than 6 yards, so it just costs one AP) and try to chop his legs of with my axe". Could not Hiord declare that he wants to stop him with a thrust of his spear?

Choice is good!

--
Henrix