Re: Mundane Supermen and Supernatural Supermen

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:45:17 +0800

> > Thus, even though you train everyday and raise only your "run"
>skill (which would be
>> stupid), you will never be able to outrun the horse as you are only human.
>
>The problem with this is that you are then abandoning any sort of
>absolute
>comparison. I have 10W3 in Run Fast, a horse has 10W2 in Run, but I get
>a -40 improviser to my Run when I happen to be chasing a horse across
>the
>plain, but I don't when I'm chasing a person. To me, that's sort of
>bizarre.

        Actually, in this specific example, situational modifiers is about the only way to do it if you are intent on being simulationist about it. Horses and humans have different optimum ranges, acceleration, etc. A human can beat a horse over short distances relatively easily, because they accelerate a lot faster. However, their top speed is much lower, and they tire faster (a horse can gallop for longer than humans can sprint).

        When you are using it in a more general sense (ie not in a direct race) it becomes a lot more complex to. Run fast presumably involves avoiding obstacles as you run, turning when you run, etc. Running fast that involves avoiding obstacles, turning often, etc its not at all impossible that the human could beat the horse.

        Plenty of sit mods, edges, ap bonuses etc to account for the specifics of each contest is the only way to get HW to behave anything like an accurate simulation of reality. It has simple rules designed to be flexible, and general, and that is just not going to accurately simulate reality most of the time. If you want it to accurately simulate reality, bad luck. If at any point its lack of simulation of reality offends you, there probably is not much you do within the rules - but there are plenty of mechanisms for you to alter a specific contest.

        I think its reasonable to develop a bunch of little house rules covering activities that become a focus of your characters lives. No such set could ever make everyone happy, though.

	Cheers
		David