Re: Mundane Superman versus Magical Superman

From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_...-csf.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 08:12:43 +0100

> From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
>
> >Not necessarily. You might get your ability there becaue you are an
> >Agimori, running
> >everyday on the vast plains of Prax.
>
> I wouldn't allow an agimori to gain constant experience in his
> running ability just for jogging around Prax constantly. Endurance,
> possibly, but not running. Raising yourself to extraordinary ability
> ratings demands that you do the extraordinary. IMG, lest someone
> accuse me of being overly normative.

I did not say that. An Agimori could start at 5w being what he is, and could add all the experience gained for running away from the Eternal Battle, tracking enemies relentlessly,...

> >I don;t doubt it. It's what the scaling is about. For example, I
> >don't doubt that Harrek
> >has close fighting 10w4, even without any magical aid. He is that
> >good "naturally".
>
> Yes, he is that good 'naturally', i.e. without magical aid. But he
> didn't get to have that extraordinary level without magical aid (read
> 'heroquesting'). And he certainly didn't get to that level by
> endlessly practicing his skills against trollkin.

Not against trollkins, but against other heroes, in dart competitions,... all very "mundane" things. And he Heroquested and fought against mythic adversaries anf learned mundane skills from them as well as stealing magical bits of myth from them.

Philippe