Re: Digest Number 162

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 08:00:03 -0000

> >Well, apart from the fact that Ranks are used in the calculation of
> >edge, this is still different to the comment that the Actor can
only
> >ever lose his AP bid, never more (or less, I guess).
>
> Ranks are optional. Edges and handicaps aren't (though you don't
have
> to use them). Hence when you discuss edges you do not automatically
> refer to ranks, or indeed at all. The comment that the Actor can
only
> ever lose no more than his bid is incorrect.

Aha... so you never use Ranks? That clarifies things a bit.

Straining your definition then, if you DID use Ranks, or if you were in a game run by someone who did, and were asked the same question, would the Opponent use his weapon Rank against the Actor (and Actor use his armour Rank) if the Opponent won an exchange?

Personally I will always use Ranks, it seems inconceivable to me that unarmed combat does no more damage/AP loss than a poleax... While it would be nice living in a world where a sword in the face hurt no more than a pillow fight, I don't see it as being very heroic! And as to the argument that such differences are tied up in the CC ability, how come that stays the same for every weapon used? Still, tastes vary. I've tasted a sword (only just, thankfully, didn't lose any teeth), and I didn't like it.

Wulf