HW in France

From: Guillaume Lussier <glussier_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:23:56 +0200

Hi,

I had the pleasure to run my first HeroWars scenary last night. It was an adaptation of Mr. Kyer "Sheepless Night" with home made characters to boost roleplay and heroic aspects of the game (and most of all allow me to test some points of the game mechanics). The game run smooth and after less than 30mn in the last fight, my players got the extended contest rules and started to enjoy the "storyteller simulation" by playing with a much more heroic style :) In the end, they were enthousiastic and loved the game. Even if they were all old players, only half already known RQ and Glorantha and HW was loved by all of them. It really push me to play with this system, I will do other scenaries for sure :))

One question was often asked to me at the end of the game, it is about a double sucess in the Extended Contest Chart (the real one). If the two opponents succeed, the lower dice win in fact, the other having to forfeit 1x. In an exemple of 10W against 10, the player with 10W will do a critict with a score under 10, nearly killing it's opponent, or loss if he roll more than 10 and it's opponent roll less than 10...
My players wanted to know why it is not the lower dice which must forfeit, "a la" Pendragon. It will allow the 10W in the upper exemple to be really better than it's opponent even if he will not always deliver a "killing" blow.

On another point, the French version of HW and Glorantha just arrived into the stores. It is a great improvement from the American version (no harm intended ;) ). The hard back cover helps and the overall making up is really much more readable. I sincerely encourage you to do the same for the second edition of HW :) anyway this version will do a lot for the game in France for sure.

To end my post, only one complaint from my players, they would like a spell book with the description of all the feats/spells ... and I agree with them, even as an old (at least experienced) RQ player, some of the feats dazed me.

Sincerely, great work on this game, it's a pleasure to run,

Guillaume