Re: combat question

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:21:34 -0000

Exactly. You could make it a 1-round Extended Contest, there's nothing against that, and then switch to a melee Extended Contest (with AP reset), but that doesn't sound right...

> > If they get low AP because their ranged combat skill was
> >lower than their close combat, they shouldn't have started with
> >javelins, making it harder to prepare for melee...
>
> Yes but my players would (rightly) string me up if I tried that.
> Player with 5w close combat and 15 javelin.
> GM: By throwing your javelin at the approaching broo you are now
easier to
> defeat in close combat.
> Player: <screaming>I've lost 10AP's for throwing a javelin!!!!

My sentiments exactly :) Actually, worse yet: he wounds a Broo, and STILL loses 10 AP!

> GM: Yes, I'm afraid you should have just stood there with your
sword in hand
> waiting.

Furthermore, after starting with Ranged Combat skill, I'd require a higher-than-minimum AP bid for any first-exchange PC bids, representing drawing melee weapons, if the Broo were close (remember, 1 AP is 'lost' per 3m run the Broo make). Thus, I'll use the Simple Contest missile exchange, followed by Extended Contest melee for the survivors...

Wulf