Re: Re: 2 sword fighting

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 09:36:45 -0400

Henrix wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jul 2000, Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> > Are you sure? The sourses I've seen seem to say that the chainmail was
> > made from flat hoops of metal. The hoops had tiny holes at the ends and
> > a tiny rivet was driven through them to keep seal the loop.
>
> Yes. Celtic chain mail, which is among the oldest in the world, seems to have
> been made exclusively from punched out iron rings, either riveted together, or
> "merely butted together (like bath-plug chains)", however that is supposed to
> be ;-)
>
> --
> Henrix

Very neat! I didn't know that

I don't have that material covering the early celtic metalworking in my refernece files -- just lots of Egyptian, Greek and Roman techniques (and later period (2nd Century BC) Celtic and Germanic. Could you tell me what it is so I can go out and buy it?

The Romans had been using the drawn wire technique (albeit in a very primitive fashion) since about the time of Christ -- at least according to one source.

Jeff