Re: ranks

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:49:45 -0700

Julian

> The ^ of a converted weapon should probably be 1/2 average damage
> (rounded up),
> so a RQ dagger should be ^3 and a greatsword ^5. Unlike the rules in HW. Most
> 'simulationist' RPGs assume that weapons are inherently more powerful than
> armour, as a game balance feature. I actually believe that the weapons and
> armour rules in HW are incorrect (from a 'simulationist' POV), and that
> historically, weapons are more efficient than armour.

Interesting rule of thumb, and you're probably right about weapons winning...

But weapon ranks in Hero Wars are intended on avoiding a net edge (in my experience, edges slow the game down), so they're designed to balance armor.

And I believe they should -- as has been mentioned, heroes don't win (or lose) battles because they have better armor or weapons (unless magical). When I start a new series, I'm willing to listen to the players, but I'll bet they still vote to ignore weapon ranks, as they did before... (I'm happy to apply ad-hoc edges in unusual cases, like Mikael, and I'll bet they end up with similar values too...)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein