Re: ENCHANTED WEAPON EDGES

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:04:05 +0200

Guy Hoyle
> >As to the strength of enchantments, it depends on the might of the
>>enchanter and the needs of your story.
>
>I guess I'm just not sure where they came up with the values that they did
>in the handouts in the Deluxe box. Here are some examples:
>
>Hidden Gale, Cutrid the Black has an enchanted lead mace ^7, and Dorhilla
>the Gleeful has a hickory staff with bells ^4.
>
>Ibex Moon: Phalinde the Friendly has an enchanted bow from Pent ^6
>
>Army of Tomorrow: Rjorni the Grim has magical bronze mail shirt, greaves, &
>round shield ^7 and a silver torque (^4 in combat); Guy of Nolos has an
>enchanted iron-bound staff ^5, which also allows him to attack spirits in
>close combat.

I'm reading this at work so i don't have the benefit of my deluxe box, but if these enchanted items don't have any more descriptions as to what the enchantment actually does, the writer seems to believe that every enchantment is tailored for generic combat. Gah.

>The part that confuses me is that there's nothing in the character
>description which gives me any idea why these devices have the values that
>they do. If A player comes to me and says "I want a sword as powerful as
>Cutrid the Black's mace", am I giving him a hugely powerful weapon? What
>kind of scale am I dealing with here?

Compare with the equivalent ratings needed for the edge values you get from augmentation. A mace with ^7 for bashing the enemy isn't _overly_ powerful, but coupled with the fact that you can augment on top of that, you get a quite nasty afvantage in combat.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]